Vitamin D Overdose Symptoms and Causes

Vitamin D Overdose

Vitamin D overdose usually does not present symptoms and, fortunately, can easily be reversed. Additionally, it is not easy to detect, so ask your doctor. Consuming vitamins is essential to keep us healthy, energetic, active and full of life. However, not everyone is aware that, supplements like a vitamin D, should be consumed in certain quantities.

When you start taking vitamins it is always important to check how much exactly we need and what is the established daily limit that we can intake. One should simply settle down, go to the pharmacy, buy a vial of medicine and take it without the knowledge or prior advice. We must consider that many foods and beverages contain a number of vitamins we need during the day, so taking a supplement would not make sense and could be harmful to our health.

Much like vitamin D deficiency, it is worth to remember that vitamin D overdose is just as harmful. When it comes to vitamin D, it is primarily obtained from the transformation of cholesterol influenced by the sun’s rays. Some people receive enough sunlight and they feed themselves in ways that allow them to have their reserves up to date.

However, others need a vitamin supplement to weigh the low consumption of this nutrient. The mistake is in taking these supplements without medical prescription and in the so doing causing vitamin D overdose.

Vitamin D Overdose

Vitamin D does not dissolve in water, making it difficult for the body to get rid of it and, therefore, accumulate it. This nutrient works like a steroid hormone and is circulating inside cells. When there is an excess in the body, the places where the vitamin can be housed as the receptors and the carrier proteins are filled and can not carry out the binding.

From the moment the compound is released into the body, it begins to increase the absorption of calcium in the intestine. This can lead to hypocalcemia or calcium deficiency. Other affected areas are soft organs such as the lungs, kidneys, and heart.

Minor Complications That Occur During Vitamin D Overdose

  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Constipation
  • Muscle fatigue and bone pain
  • Anxiety and depression
  • Confusion
Vitamin D Overdose - Bone Loss
Bone Loss Due To Vitamin D Overdose

The recommended daily intake of vitamin D should be less than 4000 IU. However, the likelihood of being poisoned by ingesting the component through food or sunlight is minimal.

To become intoxicated with this component the patient must have a level of 150 ng/ml (375 nmol/l) present in the blood.

Luckily, almost all cases of toxicity are reversible, and few cause hardening of the arteries or renal failure.

Vitamin D Overdose Symptoms

Occasionally, vitamin D toxicity does not present any symptoms at all. However, in moderate cases some of the following conditions are present:

  • Hypercalcemia
  • Nausea and vomiting
  • Constipation
  • Anxiety
  • Weakness
  • Altered consciousness
  • High blood pressure
  • Renal insufficiency
  • Hearing loss

How To Deal With Vitamin D Overdose

First, attend a medical consultation. A professional will prescribe you the necessary tests in order to detect the levels of the component in the blood. It is also important not initially go to the laboratory without first checking with a doctor.

Eliminate vitamin D supplements in case of abnormally high levels. Even when consuming 10,000 IU per day, the risk of toxicity is low. However, it is better to keep the intake below 4000. When it comes to children and older adults, 700 IU per day is sufficient enough.

We must be aware of how much vitamin D we consume per day. If we have enough exposure to the sun’s rays it is not necessary to take a supplement. Generally, doctors prescribe this medicine to people who lack sun exposure.

Evaluate your food intake: fish, beans, fortified milk or orange juice, among others. These can provide between 600 and 1000 IU per serving. This, added to the sun exposure, would achieve the quota that the organism requires.

It is also necessary to reduce the consumption of supplements or foods rich in calcium. Increase the intake of products that contain sodium, as well as liquids.

Take note that vitamin D overdose happens over months and even years. So, it becomes a difficult disease to detect. You have to learn to differentiate your symptoms from other diseases and always prepare yourself for changes.

refrence.https://yourhandydoctor.com/vitamin-d-overdose/

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *